This project is a pilot action that aims to work toward a plastic free
university campus. It is supported by the rectorate and seen as a chance in setting
the example for other Balkan Union Universities.
Several objectives are to be achieved:
- Reducing the number of plastic bottles used in the
campus. 13 water fountains
will be installed, and re-fillable bottles will be distributed. The goal is to
save 650 000 plastic bottles per year.
- Reducing plastic in congresses and symposia
namelyby using recycled cardboard and jute
for name badges, banning plastic bottles or plastic glasses and using pens
in recycled paper.
- Sharing tote bags in talks and
presentations. The 2019
tax on plastic bags has already helped to reduce their usage but the
progress is slow, and they are still freely distributed in open vegetable
markets. This objective encourages and helps students to change their
habits towards plastic bags.
- Zero Waste policy. The government launched a “0 waste” pilot
campaign (Sifir atik) in some places of Turkey. The activities proposed by
the campaign will be tested and implemented on the campus.
- Cleaning days on the riverside. Cleaning days will be organized to raise awareness
among students and the public about plastic pollution.
- Arts and practical recycling workshop. A recycling plant will be build
by students in the art department to promote recycling among the public. With
scientific facts, info-graphics,
graphic design, photos, sculptures, people will be more aware of the
regional and global problems caused by plastics.