The “Plastistop II” initiative
is based on 4 axes:
- The organization of an awareness-raising campaign led by the Med ambassador
trained during the first phase of the Plastistop initiative (funded by the 2016
BeMed call for micro initiatives). Educational workshops will be organized in
primary and secondary schools.
- The organization of two events to raise awareness:
- – A cultural event called “the environment through art and culture” will be
organized in the most touristic area of Djerba Island in summer 2018. The event
will be composed of a puppet show as well as the viewing of films and short
films on the marine plastic pollution problem and Mediterranean Sea
- – The organization of mountain bike trips to reach out to villages on
market day and raise awareness about the use of plastic bags. During these
days, traditional and locally produced “couffins” (traditional baskets) will be
- The organization of a clean-up campaign called “Expilots” on islets around
Djerba. This awareness-raising campaign will include 6 excursions guided by the
Med ambassador, an archaeologist and expert on marine environment, to highlight
the history, the heritage, and the natural richness of these islets.
- The popularization of the android application “Marine Litter Watch”
launched by the European Environment Agency to all local stakeholders. The
users will be able to collect data on the field with their mobile phone and
participate in the common effort to better understand the extent of the
problem. The use of an international application will allow for a comparison
with other Mediterranean areas.